Thursday 26 August 2010

only a spectator (at the gay games)


gone bouldering, originally uploaded by julienpaul.

When my friend Steve introduced the concept of the Gay Games to me I think I laughed hard and for quite a while. Was it Gay only? Did they test you on arrival with a "gay test", just to make sure you weren't cheating? If you win, can you then say you are the fastest... gay male runner in the world? Are the Olympics heterosexual only?

Well, it was a good excuse to get to meet Steve and to see Cologne (and Zumthor's St Kolumba museum). So I said: what the hell, I'm going.

The one long, intense day of competition that I had the opportunity to witness managed to quieten me a little. I had never seen a rock climbing competition and for someone who suffers from vertigo, I think I had to steady myself a little on arrival when I saw just how tall the walls were.

The intense concentration, the physical strength and dexterity needed... I was just a little in awe. This was not some pansy's competition.

The tone for the competition managed to be both serious - the courses were damn hard - and light-hearted. Everyone chatted between events, there were loud rounds of applause between competitors and a general sense of comradeship.

So, I was convinced. The Gay games were not just there for a laugh, for a the circuit parties, a big fuck fest as you may. It was about serious sportsmanship and solidarity between homosexuals and friends/supporters of homosexuals.

Then the rock climbing event ended.

And we went to see the ballroom dancing and were horrified and amused by the costumes. The Chess and Bridge competitions were also in full swing as well. Oh, and then the circuit parties began. And then the fu... anyways.

The vibe in Cologne was spectacular. Temporary stages had been set up everywhere with DJs and concerts, and beer was pouring continuously. It felt like someone's huge house party, and I was happy to have been invited. I had not yet seen a German city in summer and it was a pleasant change to the grey, rainy memories of my visits in October and January to Berlin and Munich.

So, awesome week, and congrats to Steve, Nick and Robert for their truck loads of medals.


bronze and.. bronze.. and silver!, originally uploaded by julienpaul.

PS more photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkcorners/sets/72157624717450128/

No comments:

Post a Comment